Creatures Big & Small (K-2)
Come and explore the beach and ocean with a real lifesaver and learn about the amazing creatures that live within the sea in our FREE virtual sessions.
Virtual Surf Life Saving Sessions - Curriculum Linked
Our sessions are very interactive!
During your FREE, 45 minute sessions our experienced lifesavers will engage your students as we explore the animals from within the deep ocean and the creatures that lurk inside our coastal rock pools.
Watch our short video for a sneak peak!
What will your students discover?
- Sea turtles use ocean currents to travel faster
- Sharks are calm and not interested in humans at all
- Bluebottles are a colony of four different types of animals
- What sea creatures live in rockpools
- If we get stung by a blue bottle what can we do?
- How can we spot a rip current?
- How many teeth can a shark have in a lifetime?
- How can we stay safe at the beach?
Guess the creature
Spotting a rip
What will your students learn about beach safety?
- F – Find the red and yellow flags and swim between them
- L – Look for and read the safety signs
- A – Ask a lifeguard or lifesaver for safety advice
- G – Go swimming with an adult
- S – Signal for help if you get into trouble in the water
- Dangers of rip currents
Curriculum Aligned Key Messages
- If you are not sure if a marine creature or plant is a hazard, look from a distance and don’t touch it
- Humans can use the aquatic environment to inspire research, creativity and innovation
- Dangers of rip currents
- The aquatic environment needs to be looked after so future generations can enjoy it
- "FLAGS" beach and water safety key messages
I liked how we when we wanted to answer a question from the lifesaver we gave a thumbs up. I learnt a lot about the creatures in the ocean.
What will teachers receive?
- Free activity worksheets
- Content outlines
- Curriculum aligned unit outlines
- On-line pre and post quiz
- In depth learning and student engagement
- Opportunities for your students to ask lots of questions and talk to our lifesavers
Access the full curriculum linked and stage based unit outline including a 3 week lesson plan and activities for teachers to download and use in class.
Being in a rural area it is important students learn where to swim safely (in between the red and yellow flags) at the beach as this is unfamiliar territory
BOOK NOW! Sessions commence from 1st September 2022
We're bringing you all the latest beach and coastal education related news, programs and resources for NSW teachers via our On Patrol newsletter.