According to World Health Organisation an estimated 236,000 lives are lost to drowning every year on a global scale. Today we stand united across the globe to mark the first ever World Drowning Prevention Day and vow to work together against the silent epidemic of preventable drowning deaths.
Please share these messages far and wide and together we can all prevent drowning worldwide:
- Always supervise children in, on and around water.
- Learn swimming, water safety and lifesaving skills.
- Wear a lifejacket when boating, rock fishing or paddling.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs around water.
- Swim at a patrolled beach between the red and yellow flags.