Stage 5 English Teaching Resources
Beach & Ocean safety curriculum linked unit outline for Stage 5 with a 3-4 week staged based lesson plan for teachers to download.
Creating quality Teacher Resources
The beach & inland waterways have many stories to tell
Surf Life Saving is much more than just saving lives on the beach
A key priority for us is reaching out to all Australians through our substantial community education programs. We aim to teach all Australians how to keep themselves and their families safe at the beach.
Each student has their story about their experiences interacting with the acquatic environment
This unit explores how students use their story to arm themselves with strategies to have hard conversations with peers and family and make well informed decisions about their safety and wellbeing around water. The learning intention is to give students strategies to prevent unnecessary drownings and practice safe behaviours at the beach.
What are the key learnings?
- That the beach is a part of everyone’s story and is a place of inclusivity, energy and place to enhance health and wellbeing.
- The beach is always changing.
- Planning your students for a safe and fun beach experience with themselves, their mates and family.
- Know the beach they are going to. Know their safety plan.
- Fight the mob mentality and be self-aware of their own and their mates competency if they are in an unsafe situation on the beach.
What are the important beach safety messages?
- Find the red and yellow flags and swim between them
- Look for, and read the safety signs
- Ask a lifesaver or lifeguard for safety advice
- Go swimming with an adult
- Signal for help if you get into trouble in the wate
What you will find in this resource:
NSW Syllabus Outcomes
3-4 Week Lesson Plan & Tasks
Subject Specific Resources
Builds on the foundational skills developed in the earlier years to support the growing knowledge, understanding and skills in the areas of Reading, viewing and listening to texts, Understanding and responding to texts and Expressing ideas and composing text.