Stage 1 Teaching Resources
This curriculum based Stage 1 Unit Outline includes a 3 week, staged based, lesson plan and activities for teachers to download.
Creating quality teacher resources for Stage 1
About this Unit Outline
This unit delves into the amazing world of the beach, ocean and inland waterways and lays a foundational knowledge of coastal and inland water environment safety. Students will uncover hazards and learn how to keep safe and mitigate risks.
What you'll find in this Unit:
TEACHING, LEARNING & ASSESSMENT
CORE LESSONS & TASKS
Key Inquiry Questions
- How do we develop and apply contextual knowledge?
- How do we respond to, read, view and compose texts?
- What are the features of, and activities in, places?
- How can spaces within a place be used for different purposes?
- How are people connected to places?
- What factors affect people’s connections to places?
- How do we communicate our ideas using pictures, colour, sound, body movement and expression?
- What are the external features of living things?
- How can we improve a local environment to encourage living things to thrive?
- How do living things change as they grow?
- How do humans use plants and animals?
- How can we care for places?
- Find the red and yellow flags and swim between them
- Look for, and read the safety signs
- Ask a lifesaver or lifeguard for safety advice
- Go swimming with an adult
- Signal for help when you get into trouble in the water
- Dangers of rip currents
- If you are not sure if a marine creature or plant is a hazard, look from a distance and don’t touch it
- Humans can use the aquatic environment to inspire research, creativity and innovation
- The aquatic environment needs to be looked after so future generations can enjoy it.