Ocean Myth Busters (3-6)
Come and explore some of the greatest myths of the ocean and coast with a real lifesaver in our FREE virtual sessions.
Virtual Surf Life Saving Sessions - Curriculum Linked
About our program
During your FREE, 45 minute interactive session we will explore some of the greatest myths of the ocean and coast.
Watch our short video for a sneak peak!
Your students will learn about the amazing stories and events through history that have changed the way we know and understand the shore, the ocean and the animals that live within.
FACT OR FISHY?
FISHY!!...there are many different bodies of water that we can swim in. Beaches, pools, rivers, lakes… each type of water body comes with its own unique dangers that we need to be aware of in order to stay safe.
What ocean myths will your students unveil?
- Are there more than one type of wave in the ocean?
- Will rips take you out to sea?
- Sharks have poor eyesight!
- If you get stung by a jellyfish what do you do?
- Creatures don't have to be big to be dangerous
- How many species of animals call the ocean their home?
What will your students learn about beach safety?
- F – Find the red and yellow flags and swim between them
- L – Look for and read the safety signs
- A – Ask a lifeguard or lifesaver for safety advice
- G – Go swimming with an adult
- S – Signal for help if you get into trouble in the water
- Dangers of rip currents
Curriculum Aligned Key Messages
- If you are not sure if a marine creature or plant is a hazard, look from a distance and don't touch it
- Humans can use the aquatic environment to inspire research, creativity and innovation
- Dangers of rip currents
- "FLAGS" beach and water safety key messages
- The aquatic environment needs to be looked after so future generations can enjoy it
I liked how the lifesaver asked us if specific things were fact or fishy because I learnt a little bit more about the ocean. I also liked the rapid fire game.
What will teachers receive?
- Free activity worksheets
- Content outlines
- Curriculum aligned unit outlines
- Student on-line pre and post quiz
- In depth learning and student engagement
- Opportunities for your students to ask lots of questions and talk to our lifesavers
Ocean Myth Busters Resources for students and teachers
Access the full curriculum linked and stage based unit outline including a 3 week lesson plan and activities for teachers to download and use in class.
Congratulations on getting these together and spreading the word throughout all of NSW - even to our little country town of Mulwala
We're bringing you all the latest beach and coastal education related news, programs and resources for NSW teachers via our On Patrol newsletter.