Surf Safety Series with Nick Carroll
Surfing is fun and a great way to stay fit while enjoying our beautiful coastlines. Surfing can be a dangerous sport, especially when you don't know the basics of staying safe while surfing. That’s why we dreamed up this series. As surfers, occasionally we get ourselves into danger. Sometimes — not often, but sometimes — it’s mortal danger. We also see other people in danger. But how many of us know what to do when things go pear-shaped in the ocean?
Over this series we will...
- Talk through some of the fact and fiction around who’s at risk in the water.
- Suggest six things everyone can do, like right away, to make things safe.
- Show you the first moves to make in a watery crisis.
- Demo a simple method of rescuing a person using your normal, everyday board.
- Do a step-by-step, surf-specific CPR instructional,
- Give you some ideas about resources if you want to take your rescue skills to the next level.
Thank you to all those involved in the creation and production of this series.
- Surfers: Nina Lindley & Dylan Wilkinson c
- Footage: Matt Dunbar, Surfer Films, Ethan Smith & Surfing NSW
- Written & presented by Nick Carroll
- Filmed & produced by Sally Mac
Learn to save a life!
Our Australian Lifesaving Academy provides many courses to help you learn and develop confidence in vital lifesaving skills.