Early Stage 1 Teaching Resources
This curriculum based Early Stage 1 Unit Outline includes a 3 week, staged based, lesson plan and activities for teachers to download.
Creating quality teacher resources for Early Stage 1
About this Unit Outline
This unit delves into the amazing world of the beach, ocean and inland waterways and lays a foundational knowledge of coastal and inland water environment safety. Students will uncover hazards and learn how to keep safe and mitigate risks.
What you'll find in this Unit:
TEACHING, LEARNING & ASSESSMENT
CORE LESSONS & TASKS
Key Inquiry Questions
- How do we develop and apply contextual knowledge?
- How do we respond to, read, view and compose texts?
- What makes a place special?
- How can we look after the places we live in?
- What makes me unique?
- How do we communicate our ideas using pictures, colour, sound, body movement and expression?
- How can we care for and include each other?
- What choices can help make me safe, supported and active?
- What helps us to stay healthy and safe?
- How do we make healthy and safe choices in different situations?
- What do we notice about living things?
- How can living things be used to meet our needs?
- How can daily and seasonal changes affect the environment?
- Find the red and yellow flags and swim between them
- Look for, and read the safety signs
- Ask a lifesaver or lifeguard for safety advice
- Go swimming with an adult
- Signal for help when you get into trouble in the water
- Dangers of rip currents
- If you are not sure if a marine creature or plant is a hazard, look from a distance and don’t touch it
- Humans can use the aquatic environment to inspire research, creativity and innovation
- The aquatic environment needs to be looked after so future generations can enjoy it.
Early Stage 1 Unit Outline and Activity Sheets
Complement your students learning with our FREE programs:
This unit outline includes opportunities to bring the content to life by engaging with our lifesavers in our virtual session: Creatures Big & Small.
Bring a lifesaver to your school with our “Lifesaver @ my school” incursion. Our primary school program will focus on keeping safe at the beach and near inland waterways through fun and interactive games and activities.
We're bringing you all the latest beach and coastal education related news, programs and resources for NSW teachers via our On Patrol newsletter.