Explore a rock pool
Next time you're at the beach, head down to the rock pool and explore all the amazing aquatic and marine life.
Rock pools are amazing places!
What can I find in a rock pool?
Beware of the Blue Ringed Octopus
While it is mostly safe exploring rock pools there are a few creatures that you need to watch out for. One of them is the Blue Ringed Octopus. This very small octopus, might be tiny, but it is one of the mostd deadly creatures in the world. When this octopus gets scared small bright blue rings appear all over its body warning others that it is dangerous and they should leave it alone. So, next time your out there, make sure you only put your hands where you can clearly see what's there and always ask if your not sure of something.
Having fun & stay safe while exploring rock pools...
- Make sure you keep sun safe and have your sunscreen and hat on, and wear a long sleeve top or rashie.
- Be gentle and never put your hand under rocks or where you cannot see.
- If you see something and you don't know what it is always ask and check to find out.
- If you want to observe small fish closer you can use a soft net and a bucket filled with fresh ocean water.
- Don't use sticks or poke at creatures as you may hurt them.
- Stay away from the edge of rock platforms and never turn your back on the ocean, even when the water looks calm,
- Make sure you take all of your rubbish and equipment with you and help keep our coastalines beautiful.