The Early Years Learning Journey...
Reimagining how we engage, educate & empower our youngest community members...
Early Childhood Years (3-5 years)
The beach is a wonderful place for sensory learning & experiences...
- Watching the tide and waves
- The sound of crashing waves and squawking birds
- The touch and feel of sand between our fingers and toes
- Seeing and feeling all the amazing textures of seashells
- The smell of the salty air and sunscreen
- The feel of waves crashing on our feet
- Looking at sea creatures on the sand and in the rock pool
- The smell of hot chips cooking at the local takeaway shop
- The slippery and spikey feel of seaweed on the sand
EXPLORING MY ENVIRONMENT
- How do I explore my world safely?
- What can I do when I feel unsafe?
- Who are safe people and how do I identify them?
- What can I learn about my environment from observation?
- How can I use my senses to learn about my environment?
- How can my senses help me to stay safe?
Interested in having your SLS club engage with your local early childhood communities? Try some of these...
- Attend a childcare centre in your red and yellow and do a show and tell about being a Lifesaver.
- Take some sensory beach items with you - seashells, sand, rocks, cuttlefish bones and other beach realted items.
- Play a game or sing a song (download our song sheet below)
- Play a game of "flags up - flags down" (download our games sheet below)
- Take some activity and colouring sheets with you or send them prior to or after your visit.
- Bring an early childcare centre group to the beach at your club for some sand and water play.
- Setup a space to dig sand and build and decorate sandcastles.
- Setup a mini sand obstacle course to get children jumping, hopping, rolling and running.
- Show children some beach safety signs and play a memory game with them.
- Do you have a safe rock platform at your beach? Take them to explore the rock pools and cratures living there. (download our rockpool explorer sheet below)