Our Senior Communities
Reimagining how we engage, educate & empower our older communities...
Our senior community.
Our older communities face their own risks when it comes to engaging in water based activities. Helping to support and promote heath and safety within our senior communities can support continued engagement in beach related activities, surf life saving club activities and can also reduce the risk of serious incidents at the beach and in the water. Our older communities are also a prime and central connection to families and young chlildren and many older individuals will be looking after and monitoring their grand children while at the beach and in the water. Ensuring that our older communities have a good grasp of not only how to keep themselves safe and healthy but how to keep others safe is central to promoting beach safety on our coastlines.
STAYING HEALTHY & SAFE
- How can I safely engage in aquatic based activities?
- What factors must I take into consideration prior to engaging in aquatic activities?
- What are common risk factors in drowning related deaths in senior communities?
- How can a medical check up support safer swimming?
- What additional risks may exist in coastal aquatic environments?
- What are the health benefits to engaging in coastal aquatic recreation?
Interested in having your club engage with older community groups in your area? Try some of these...
- Reach out to a local community group to plan a visit and have some of your clubs Lifesavers do a show and tell.
- Do a presentation on core FLAGS messages and key beach safety. (Get in touch with us for some resources - see below)
- Get in touch with you local council to find out what events or sessions you might be able to attend to engage local communities.
- Your local council may be able to support some presentation sessions to council community groups or they may be able to connect you with specific senior groups.
- Reach out to your local RSL to arrange an event or opportunity to attend and set up a stall for a day.
- Engage with and promote the Silver Salties program across your club.
- Promote a healthy lifestyle & regular health checks to your older club members.
- Reach out to us! We can help connect you with a local related networks and provide support to ensure we make the best impact in this space.
Would you like to seek further support and information from SLSNSW Community Education to help you engage with local wider community groups? Reach out to Julia Kiss. Community Education Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0424198464.
View our community relevant resources & programs...
Beach & Ocean Safety
Be prepared before you head to the beach and learn our useful tips to keep you, your family, your friends and your loved ones safe when you visit our beautiful coast!
Multilingual Beach Safety Quizzes
These quizzes have been developed by SLSNSW to support the learning of our in language content. The quizzes are a fun and informative way to learn and consolidate knowledge and are available in multiple languages.
Multilingual Beach Safety Videos
These videos have been filmed with the help of our amazing Surf Life Saving Lifesavers and members. These videos focus on key beach safety messaging and are subtitled in English.
Multilingual Beach Safety Fact Sheets
Our beach safety fact sheets have been created for our diverse multilingual communities with the support of our Multicultural Advisory group and with the help of the communities they are created for.
Rock Fishing Safety
Do you enjoy rock fishing? Rock fishing is a popular sport for many but it can be dangerous. Use this page to learn about how you can keep yourself, friends and family safe.
Stories from our community
Do you have a story to tell that you would like to share? Have you had a scary, happy or life changing experience with the ocean or at a beach? No matter how big or small we would love to hear your story.